Sunday, September 7, 2008

What I do Best

I am not surprised in the least bit that I have not posted a blog in however long it is. I hate writing and I don't really care to post anything about my life right now cause I live around everyone that I care about or that cares about me. But why quit? I admittedly lost interest initially but I think I can stick this out. I am so good at loosing interest and just letting it go. Trust me, I have done it with hundreds of books. Most of the time I didn't even bother opening the book and reading a few pages or chapters, I just look at the cover and the title and there goes my interest in reading books altogether. But I've made the decision to follow this one through.

So with that I guess I better come up with something interesting to write about so that if there is someone bored enough to actually check my blog can have something to read. Since I mentioned books I guess I'll write about that. For those who don't know me, I have never liked reading. There has not been a good reasons for it, I guess I just didn't prefer it over playing sports, watching TV or playing a video game. Then as I came to realize that there may be something slightly more to life than those previous mentioned activities I decided that maybe I would take up reading books. But things didn't work out cause I couldn't really find any books that I liked to read. I liked reading the sports page of the paper and Sports Illustrated, but other than that I couldn't find anything that could keep me interested for more than 20-30 pages. Then, if I remember it correctly, my dad sort of made me read The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis. What an awesome book and what an amazing author. I started reading a few more books by C. S. Lewis like Out of the Silent Planet, the Screwtape Letters and s few of his essays. I would have read more but I moved on to the Book of Mormon and Our Search for Happiness to prepare for a two year LDS mission. Then on my mission in Korea I of course only read scripture and books published by the church. But during that time I learned to love to read scripture also. Then after I came back I got too busy with school that I didn't really pick any novels/books. This summer I finally decided to read The Bourne Identity. Solid read. Then I reread The Great Divorce...better than I remembered it. Now I am making more time to read the space trilogy novels of C. S. Lewis. I have finally matured to the point where I read books, what an improvement.

3 comments:

Ralph and Jenny Davis said...

wow! you Read!!!! I don't believe it! you must be lying again...

Anonymous said...

So are you still reading books? I'm sure your lovely wife has plenty of great suggestions if you need and of course, I've got lots and lots of Shakespeare. Doesn't that sound tempting?
(P.S. I tagged you so if you'd like to post another blog, that's just an idea...)

Cade said...

Thane. Thanks for your post, I was bored enough that I read the whole thing. Interestingly enough, I feel that I am in the same boat. I have never been a reader, until recently, and am realizing that after I've checked espn.com there is something to entertain my mind.