Saturday, March 21, 2009

Coaching Debut


I know that it has been a long time. Let's just say that I have been real busy. We'll leave the excuse at that. This year I have been coaching the East High soccer team again. Only this year I have a little more say and a little more respect from the team. I guess that just comes with not being a rookie anymore and knowing the kids a whole lot better (not that I don't know my brother and his friends real well, the ones who were on the team last year). Our first game of the year was a preseason game against Judge Memorial. Rudy Schenk, the head coach, was out of town so I debuted the team with my debut as head coach.
Things went real well with the game for the most part. We had our first game jitters but we got the 2-0 lead. With about 15 minutes left, the ref got bored and decided to spice things up a bit so he called a penalty kick on us, a real soft call. that let Judge get back in at 2-1, but we held on for the victory. It was great to get the victory. I must say that at half time, I really didn't have much to say, I kind of felt like I was too short winded and the kids were expecting more, but other than that, it went well.
After the game they had a reporter there from the Deseret News who talked to me about the game for like 8 minutes. I remember reading the paper back when I played in high school and reading the quotes from our Coach Kernodle, and knowing that he never said anything like that. The article about us quoted me and it was actually words that had come out of my mouth. I was impressed and got my name in the paper...sweet. Here is the link if you want to read what was said about the game http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705290281,00.html. That picture I posted with this will hopefully be a picture of me in about 20 years; that or Ralph.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reporter sounded like a 16 year old girl wrote the article. Course, it made your comments sound even more intelligent in contrast. So do you think Kernodle actually said those words the papers quoted?

Thane said...

I am shocked that you read my blog, seeing as how I have not posted anything in ages. I thought no one would ever read my blog again. Thanks for not giving up on me. I don't think Kernodle ever said the quoted words in the paper. Whenever Maren was quoted it was something generic that she never said. That's why I was shocked that they quoted me almost spot on. He did have a recorder so it wouldn't have been that hard.