Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Video Games






Since returning from my mission and being married, I have done a pretty good job at playing almost no video games. This is not due to lack of interest, but mainly to lack of game system. When Laina and I got married, I purposefully didn't buy a game system because I had and still have school to worry about. Plus, all the new game systems are too much and I don't like any of the games. I enjoy the classics. The most complicated I get is Nintendo 64. Luckily/Sadly you can download emulators for Nintendo, SNES and N64. I have kept my distance but every now and again, during a vacation/break like spring break, I will download some emulators and games and play to my heart's delight.
This past spring break I downloaded the SNES emulator and the original Nintendo emulator. I played and beat The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past in one day; getting all the heart pieces and all of the weapons. I didn't think that I would remember where all of them were, but I pulled it off. That is one of the best games ever, easily.
The other game that I spent a little of my free time on was Super Tecmo Bowl for original Nintendo. That is one of the best football games ever. It is so simple to play, but so much fun. I did a season with the 49ers. I lost one game during the season to the Giants. I couldn't beat them. Montana was in "bad" condition, and their whole team was practically in "excellent" condition. Every time Meggett ran the ball he went for like 40 yards. I reset the game in frustration and replayed and tried to beat them like 5 times before I finally just accepted defeat. the best team to be on that game though is the Kansas City Chiefs. With Christian Okoye as running back (has hitting power of 100, no one can tackle him) and Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith on defense, it is practically impossible to lose if those guys even have "average" condition. I played one game during the season with K.C. when Okoye was "excellent" condition and ran for 561 yards. Everytime the computer punted of kicked off to me I just ran back to my 5 yard line so that I could get about the max yardage for Okoye. Then I would do a run up the middle and just watch all the defensive players bounce off. Too much fun.
But with school starting back up I had to erase them from my computer. I love those games too much that if I even keep them on the computer, I will end up wasting too much time on them. I don't have self-control when I start playing them but luckily I have enough self-control to get rid of them so the temptation is no longer even there. I don't know if there will ever be another time in my life when I have a "break" to play video games, with my boy due on May 9th. I had a good run with it, oh well.

1 comment:

LAINA said...

I am sure that you will find time. Maybe not as much time, but some time. Don't be too sad.